Wednesday, October 10, 2007

New Radiohead album for $1

I just downloaded the new Radiohead album "In Rainbows." A few days ago i "pre-ordered" it, and then today they sent me a link to download it. The best part about this process, was I paid $1 USD for it. (.01+.45GBP). I could have paid $10 or $100 or $1000 or whatever I wanted to pay. I tried to pay 0, but I couldn't seem to get that to work.

As ARS Technica points out...this is the future of music and entertainment. Give stuff away and people will pay for stuff they really want. Radiohead's goal was to get people to buy their $80 "disc box" which included the In Rainbows album, a 2nd disc with additional material, 2 LPs and a bunch of assorted artwork and other crap. Radiohead claims "the free-download experiment is working out very well so far, driving an 11-fold traffic boost to the band's Web site and converting plenty of those hits into sales of premium boxed sets for £40 a pop." That assumes everyone paid .01GPB! I assume that a good amount of people paid $10 or $15 or more for the album.

Anyway...not that I like Radiohead all that much, but I wanted to be a part of the experiment.

No comments: